Wednesday, August 29, 2012

ali's Corner. [My Smallness for His Greatness.]


No matter how deeply I fall
in love with the Savior of the world,
no matter how much His unconditional
love romances me to the core of my being,
no matter how many times
I proclaim His name to a hurting friend,
or how boldly I proclaim His word
and His promises to myself and my family,
I somehow always manage to put God in a box.

I pocket Him and walk around as if to say,
"when I need you, Lord, I'll just pull you out, 
and when I'm done with You, i'll just pocket you again."

But who am I to think my tiny human hand
could come close to grasping even a fraction
of Who God is?
Going further, who am I to think I could place that fraction
of Him into my pocket and pull Him out like
some sort of calculator? 

I was reminded of how small I am today.
But in my smallness, I was strengthened
with the 
overwhelming, 
all-encompassing
greatness and 
vastness of the 
God I serve.

Praise the Lord He doesn't fit into my pocket.
And praise the Lord He doesn't ONLY show up
when I think I need Him.
Who am I to know when I need Him anyway?

The thought of "pocketing" God alone
places the lie in my mind that somehow I come close
for even a second to being self-sufficient.

"I need Him just as much, 
if not more,
on my best day,
as I do on my weakest day, 
when I feel most defeated."

Praise the Lord He doesn't even FIT into my pocket,
because that would mean I would be "taking the wheel,"
for my life, and God knows where that normally gets me.

Disappointed.
Defeated.
Lonely.
Hungry.
Wanting.
and
Empty.

I'm praising God today
for His greatness.
For His showing up.
For His loving me anyway.
For how big He is,
and in turn,
for how incredibly small I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment