Thursday, August 2, 2012

ali's Corner. [Was Jesus at Chick-Fil-A Yesterday?]

"Everything inside of me
believes that if Jesus had
walked the streets of America
yesterday,
Dining at a Chick-Fil-A 
would not have been 
on His agenda."

Yesterday as I debated
whether or not to jump in
my car and drive to the nearest
Chick-Fil-A,
where many of my close
friends and family were
attending,
I remained hesitant.


I asked myself what my true reason
for going would be.

And I honestly could not come up
with a single reason that settled right
with my heart.
Oh, I came up with plenty of
possible reasons:

1. Support for a Christian business,
devoted to encouraging and living out
true Biblical principles
2.  Standing up for my Christian values
and the Biblical marriage, as well as
showing people I am not afraid to do so.
3.  Something about first amendment rights/political [blah]
And if I'm being honest,
4. To make myself feel better for how 
people have attacked my faith,
my beliefs, and my values.
and
5. If I didn't go, I may look like a coward
Christian with a weak faith
in front of my LGBT friends.

But none of these reasons,
even if bonded all together,
held its own against 
the resistance in my heart.

"I thought about what Jesus
might have to say about all of this."

Well, I actually don't know what Jesus
would have said yesterday,
but I do know what 
He has already said.


"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." -Colossians 3:12-14

I take that verse and use it
as a background,
then I veil the verse with an
image of each Chick-Fil-A
restaurant yesterday.

Can I still see the verse clearly
through the images of the
drive-thrus and wrap-around lines?

Does it still hold truth and
were these qualities demonstrated
yesterday?


I can't speak for all,
but I'm sure most people who went to Chick-Fil-A
yesterday were probably very loving
and had good intentions.
In fact, some of my closest


friends and family that I love dearly
attended yesterday.
And these are some of the
most loving and caring people I know!

But I'm honestly not interested in
checking the motives of each individual
Chick-Fil-A attendee, in fact, 



"I'm more so interested in
what kinds of messages
we are sending to our
brothers and sisters in the LGBT community."

"If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing." - 1 Corinthians 13:2

Of the people who attended,
most all attended for different reasons.

Whatever the reasons, I had to ask myself:
do I honestly and wholeheartedly
believe that these qualities 
of Christ spoken in Colossians
were exerted through
the actions of Christians yesterday?

No, I truly don't.
If I did, I don't think
Jesus would have skipped out.

In fact,
I kind of feel like going would have
a counterproductive effect
on God's true mission in this world.

I'm not sure if standing up for
the truth we believe in 
in that way
was the way God would promote.

Don't get me wrong,
if our grace outweighs our truth,
we really don't get anywhere.

"But in the same way,
if our truth outweighs our grace,
we really don't get anywhere either."

Jesus was and is the perfect 
balance of grace and truth.
He is no more graceful 
then truthful,
nor is He more truthful
than graceful.

So really,
I'm not worried about
Chick-Fil-A going under
because of the recent
occurrences with the possibility
to hurt their business.
If they are truly living out
Biblical principles
and living as holy sacrifices
pleasing to Christ,
I am 100% confident
that God will bless them
for their obedience.

And I'm not worried about
my own hurt feelings 
and the ways I feel I've been
offended because of my beliefs.

"All of this hesitance,
All of this resistance,
is because I think of the people
it seems we are fighting against."

Correct me if I'm wrong,
but many people I've talked with
from the LGBT community
aren't looking for us to 
"change" our beliefs.

After all, if we claim Christianity,
who could rightfully asks us to 
abandon what we base the
foundation for our faith on?

"No, I believe what they are 
looking for is acceptance."

Love.
And to rid their daily
deliverance
of judgement,
anger,
hate,
and 
malice.

Isn't this what God asks of us, too?
And isn't this what everyone desires?
To love and be loved in return?

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building other up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.  And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.  Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." - Ephesians 4:29-31

Along with this kind of love,
I truly do believe that we,
as Christians, should absolutely defend our faith
and speak the truth we have come to know.

"However I don't know
if by supporting Chick-Fil-A
and what they stand for
in such multitude
speaks in the way Jesus 
would have us speak about it."

Really, I'm saying
I don't know how.
I don't know how to be
graceful and truthful
at the same time
and have the same amount of each.

Because when one outweighs
the other, it results in 
hurt feelings and 
we risk possible
abandonment of our beliefs.

"The only true way to 
be sure, is to draw close to
the one who created us."

Ask Him to empty us
of ourselves
and to fill us with what
He would have us filled with.

Ask Him to show us how
to love each other.
Because, honestly, 
I don't think we truly know how.

Let's trust that His plan for this
world is good.
Let's trust that He loves us
and has no intention of
leaving us or forsaking us.

"And let's ask Him
to show us how to love."


"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God." - 1 John 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment